Sleep is one of the most vital components of overall health, yet often overlooked. It helps the body get enough rest and repair to be fit to take on the next day. Adequate sleep helps prevent heart disease, stroke, excess weight gain, poor concentration, and low productivity.
Good night sleep may be disrupted by issues such as stress, physical illnesses and pain, medication, poor sleeping habits, and mental health disorders among others. If you are undergoing any of these, you may battle with sleep disorders.
Sleep disorders manifest as having trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep the entire night. If this situation continues, sleep deprivation sets in which can cause further side effects such as low productivity at work, excessive daytime sleepiness, increased risk of auto accidents, and other health issues.
Our Top Picks
- Best for Staying Asleep : Sleep Support Plus
- Best Non-Habit-Forming Sleep Aid: VitalSleep mouthpiece, AirSnore mouthpiece
- Best Natural Sleep Aid: Som Sleep
- Best for Anxiety : AirSnore Drops
- Best for Quality Sleep:Sleep Wave
About Natural Sleep Support Supplements
Lifestyle changes are among the most effective solutions to sleeping problems. Avoiding caffeine, exercising regularly, and sleeping on a regular schedule are some of the changes that work. However, for some people, these changes bring minimal results and that’s where dietary supplements come in.
In precise, natural sleep support supplements are sleep aids that provide the body with effective botanical extracts, minerals, and vitamins that claim to improve sleep. These formulations may support occasional sleeplessness without causing adverse side effects.
Sleep support supplements work to enhance a healthy sleep cycle by boosting feelings of relaxation and calmness which are the antidotes for sleep. And like with other supplements, it is recommended to check with your doctor before purchasing one.
What to Look for in Natural Sleep Aids?
There are many sleep aids in the market which can make purchasing them a daunting experience. If you want to get the best value for your money, check out these features:
- The active ingredients present
A supplement is as good as its ingredients. If you are looking for a natural sleep support supplement, get one with naturally effective ingredients. Some of the best ingredients in sleep aids include;
- Valerian root
- GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)
Select a sleep supplement from a reputable brand. To know whether a brand is legit or not, check out for product tests online, doctor recommendations, third-party testing, and good manufacturing practices. Additionally, research on what customers think about the product from various sources such as Amazon and Reddit.
If you are looking for a sleep supplement that can help with occasional sleeplessness, you should go for a product that claims to do exactly that. Also, read customer reviews on the product to understand whether it lives up to its claims.
While all sleep aids promise to help you sleep better, others offer more than just a good shut-eye. Some supplements claim to stimulate your body to produce neurotransmitters that help you relax for better sleep. Other sleep supplements feature important vitamins and minerals that have antiaging benefits.
If you have allergic reactions to some food or chemical ingredients, it is safe to look for supplements that will not cause you a reaction. Avoid supplements that contain common allergens such as soy and wheat.
Do Natural Sleep Aids Work?
Natural sleep aids work if they contain sleep-promoting ingredients such as melatonin, a hormone that supports sleep. The primary benefit of sleep aids is to make you feel drowsy allowing you to get more sleep.
In addition, these sleep-inducing supplements reduce daytime drowsiness as well as impaired thinking caused by sleep deprivation. They also help improve your sleep schedule thus enabling you to enjoy consistent sleep for long.
Some of these supplements particularly improve occasional sleep disorders caused by factors such as jet lag or sleep work disorder. Well, sleep aids improve sleep disorders such as long-term insomnia, narcolepsy, and obstructive sleep apnea. Besides some doctors recommend such supplements together with other prescribed medication when treating the real underlying issues.
Best Sleep Aid Supplements for Insomnia
Insomnia is one of the major sleep disorders that make it hard for you to fall asleep, stay asleep, or go back to sleep once you wake up. This sleep disorder can affect your health, mood, performance, energy levels, and overall quality of life.
Other symptoms of insomnia include: Disrupted night sleep, Daytime sleepiness, Depression, irritability, or anxiety, finding it hard to pay attention, focus or remember details, Increased accidents or errors, and Feeling tired after a night’s sleep.
The best sleep aid supplements for insomnia are those that contain natural sleep aids such as:
- Melatonin – This sleep hormone is produced naturally by the body. It works to signal the brain that it is time to sleep. Melatonin’s production cycle is influenced by time. During the evening the hormone levels increase and fall in the morning.
- Valerian root – this herb is native to Asia and Europe. It is usually used to treat the symptoms of menopause, depression, and anxiety.
- Magnesium – this is a mineral that is required by various body functions such as heart health. It helps to quiet the body and mind thus helps you to ease into sleep.
- Passionflower – this is another popular ingredient for insomnia. It is claimed to improve sleep duration and quality.
- Lavender – apart from its incense properties, the soothing fragrance of lavender has been used to improve sleep quality.
Best Sleep Aid Supplements for Bodybuilders
Bodybuilding requires a good training routine, diet, and sufficient sleep. Growth hormones are produced during sleep thus improving protein synthesis. The two major benefits of sleep for bodybuilders are brain cell restoration and reduced energy Consumption.
With lowered energy Consumption, bodybuilders can maintain the size of their bodies effortlessly. Sleep also helps recharge the brain by reducing adenosine, a neurotransmitter whose role is to produce ATP (energy-storing molecule). With reduced adenosine, the brain’s alertness is reduced, making it easy to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Cortisol and adrenaline are also produced during exercise. While these hormones are great for enduring strenuous workouts, they are not conducive to letting you relax and stay calm for a goodnight’s rest. A good sleep supplement will reduce these hormones promoting a conducive environment for sleep.
The best sleep aid supplements should have ingredients that not only improve sleep but also benefit the joints and muscles. A good example is the whole Montmorency tart cherry which is superior to melatonin. This ingredient provides deeper sleep, energized mornings, and joint/muscle support. Other ingredients to check out include magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, GABA, melatonin, and valerian root.
Our Top 5 Sleep Support Products
Our best picks include:
- Sleep Support Plus
Sleep Support Plus is an herbal formulation that supports a healthy sleep cycle, provides relief for occasional sleeplessness, and promotes relaxation. It contains high-quality botanical extracts, vitamins, and minerals that work together to ease the body into better sleep.
It contains potent ingredients such as:
- Tryptophan – An essential amino acid that stimulates the production of melatonin and serotonin. A research study in the Journal of Medicine claims that tryptophan can alleviate short-term sleep disorders.
- Melatonin – This sleep hormone helps to notify the brain that it is time to sleep. In a meta-analysis by the PLOS ONE Journal, melatonin was found to reduce sleep-onset latency, increase sleep time, and improve overall sleep quality.
- It promotes deeper and long-duration sleep
- Encourages a healthy sleep cycle
- It helps calm the mind
- It contains traces of food allergens such as soy, wheat, and peanuts
Price: 1 bottle – $27.95, 2 bottles – $48.94, 4 bottles (1 free) – $97.88
VitalSleep is an anti-snoring device that reduces snoring so as to provide better and quiet sleep. Snoring usually occurs when there is a partial obstruction in the throat due to relaxed muscles. To prevent snoring, this device features an Accu-Adjust System which opens up the jaw to increase the throat’s airway size. This allows the free flow of air into the throat thus preventing snoring.
A clinical trial in the Journal of Sleep Disorders and Management studied the effectiveness of an intraoral device on habitual snorers. The study noted a 67% improvement in the Snoring Severity Scale. Similar to the device in the study, the VitalSleep mouthpiece may work.
- It improves breathing while sleeping
- Offers custom teeth impressions for comfort and effectiveness
- Provides personalized jaw adjustment
- Only improves heavy snoring caused by conditions such as obstructive sleep apnea
Price: VitalSleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece – $69.95
The AirSnore mouthpiece helps you breathe properly so as to stop snoring. According to the manufacturer, this device is an easy-to-use product that is highly effective. In addition, it does not require dental fitting as it molds into the mouth, allowing a comfortable fit.
The AirSnore mouthpiece adjusts the jaw to open the upper airway which then ensures easy breathing. With improved breathing, snoring subsides, thus improving sleep for you and your partner. According to a review study published in the Sleep & Breathing journal, oral appliances have a definite role in the treatment of snoring and sleep apnea, meaning this mouthpiece could work.
- It improves sleep quantity and quality
- Helps reduce headaches, irritability, and tiredness during the day
- Helps prevent serious health issues caused by sleep deprivation
- The results may vary with individuals
The AirSnore Drops is a blend of natural oils that helps enable users to sleep well through a cough or cold. When you have a cough, cold, or chest congestion, the airways become blocked making it hard to breathe properly, thereby, disrupting your good night’s sleep.
Unlike sleeping pills, AirSnore Drops promises to enhance sleep without relaxing the neck muscles which are the culprits of snoring. This medicinal oil is to be rubbed on the chest, neck, and nostrils before going to bed. Some of the ingredients used to formulate this product are:
- Sunflower seed oil – This is an essential oil that is claimed to have mood-enhancing properties. In a study by the Journal of Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, essential oils stimulate the olfactory receptors which release the serotonin hormones.
- Eucalyptus leaf oil – In a randomized controlled trial conducted by the European Journal of Integrative Medicine, essential oils used in aromatherapy were found to lower stress and depression and promote better sleep quality.
- It encourages better sleep without snoring
- It helps support better morning wake-up
- Contains effective ingredients
- May aggravate sinus conditions for some individuals
Sleep Wave is a sleep-improving supplement that to helps you maintain deep sleep effortlessly. It targets the circadian rhythm which is in charge of regulating the normal sleep cycle. According to the manufacturer, this product contains two supportive blends: asleep support herbal blend and a circadian rhythm nutrient blend. Some of the ingredients include:
- Chamomile – This is an herb that has been used as a natural remedy for centuries. In a research study by the Journal of Education and Health Promotion, oral administration of chamomile extract was found to have sedative properties in sleep quality.
- L-Theanine – This is a naturally occurring amino acid that is popularly used as an anti-anxiety supplement. A study published in the journal of Pharmaceutical Biology, investigated the effectiveness of GABA and L-theanine mixture on sleep in subjects. The study found that sleep latency reduced by 14.9% while sleep duration increased by 26.8%.
- It improves sleep duration and quality
- Helps boost brain cell functions
- Supports sleep hormone production
- Users under medication may not be able to use this product unless approved by a doctor
Som Sleep is a sleep-improving drink that helps you sleep fast and deeply. It promises to wake you up refreshed in the morning with no traces of drowsiness. It also focuses on resetting the normal sleep schedule which allows you to sleep on time, deeply, and longer.
According to the manufacturer, this product is healthy and sugar-free. Therefore, it improves sleep without compromising on your health. Some of the ingredients in this formula are:
- GABA – Gama Aminobutyric Acid is an amino acid that plays the role of a neurotransmitter in your brain. In a randomized double-blind trial published in the Journal of Clinical Neurology, a daily dose of 300 mg of GABA was found to improve sleep efficacy and quality without adverse effects.
- Melatonin – This sleep hormone is popularly used in prescription and over-the-counter pills to improve sleep. According to a systematic review in the Nutrition Journal, melatonin may reduce the time it takes for people with delayed sleep phase syndrome to fall asleep.
- It helps you fall asleep faster
- Actively supports and regulates the normal sleep cycle
- It is non-habit forming
- The ingredient amounts are not shared
Price: 12 pack – $29.99, 24 pack – $59.98
Q: Is it OK to Take Sleep Aid Every Night?
A: Naturally formulated supplements work to support the natural body system and are considered safe. However, for regular or persistent sleep issues, you should visit the doctor to get a full diagnosis and treatment for your condition.
Q: Do Natural Sleep Sids have Side Effects?
A: Products with the right ingredients don’t cause any serious side effects and should also not cause dependence.
Q: How Do Sleep Supplements Work?
A: Sleep supplements usually contain sleep-inducing ingredients such as chamomile and GABA. These ingredients work to stimulate neurotransmitters such as melatonin which notify the brain that it is time to sleep. Other ingredients work to regulate the body’s sleep cycle.
Q: Do Sleeping Pills Work for Insomnia?
A: Yes, sleeping pills improve insomnia if it is caused by issues such as stress, poor sleeping habits, and jet lag. If the causes of insomnia are serious conditions such as mental health disorders or neurological issues, these pills cannot do much. In this case, the best way to address your sleeping disorder is to consult your health care provider who will prescribe medications for you.
Q: Do Sleep Pills Give You Good Sleep?
A: Yes, sleep pills that contain effective ingredients can improve sleep quality and quantity. Such supplements have the nutrients and minerals required to calm the brain, increase neurotransmitters, and reset the sleep cycle.
Q: Can I get Addicted to Sleep Supplements?
A: Naturally formulated sleep aid products are not habit-forming, unlike their synthetically formulated counterparts. In this case, it is important to carefully research the ingredients that a product features to know their long-term effect.
Q: What are the Side Effects of Sleeping Aids?
A: Average sleep aid products may cause mild allergic reactions, dependence, dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision, constipation, and stomach upset among others.
Q: Are Natural Sleep Aids Safe for Pregnant or Breastfeeding Women?
A: While they are considered safe, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their doctor before using them. This is because these supplements have not undergone rigorous testing to prove that they are safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Q: How Fast Do Sleep Aid Supplements Work?
A: On average, sleep supplements take around 1 hour to start working. However, for the most effective ones, you can fall asleep faster by about 15 minutes. Good sleep aids also provide you with an additional 35 minutes of sleep.
Sleep disorders could be caused by various factors ranging from stress to serious medical conditions. For this, sleep support supplements can come in handy to assist with the situation.
Sleeping aids are used to encourage better sleep for individuals with problems falling asleep, staying asleep, and sleeping for long. These products do not treat underlying issues, but instead encourages the stimulation of sleep hormones to improve the quality and quantity of sleep.
Apart from supplements, anti-snoring devices are also important to sleep aids that prevent snoring thus delivering better sleep. These devices work to open up the airways to allow the free flow of air. Unlike supplements, these devices may not cause dependence.
To steer clear of adverse side effects, you should take the supplements as recommended. Do not take more than the required dosage for any reason. If you experience any side effects, you are encouraged to discontinue use and consult your doctor.
Sleeping pills are not safe for pregnant, breastfeeding, and users with chronic conditions such as high blood sugar. If you fall under this category, you should only use sleeping pills if approved by your healthcare provider.
Our top picks are from reputable brands and feature ingredients that have scientific backing. Ingredients such as melatonin, chamomile, and valerian root are natural sleep aids that have been used over the years to enhance sleep. In terms of customer reviews, these products also rank favorably. For instance, Som Sleep has 4.2 stars on Amazon.
Pricewise, these products range from affordable to expensive. Buying supplements in bulk can earn you a significant discount, saving you some bucks. In addition, these sleep aids come in different forms that you can choose from. Whether you want them in pill form or as a drink, there’s an option for you.
Since products work differently from user to user, ensure to do your research before splurging your hard-earned money on any sleep aid. Read customer reviews online and make an informed decision on which to pick. We hope our article will help you find the best solution for your sleep disorders.