Feeling gassy, bloated, or have loose stools after taking antibiotics? This is a sure sign you may need to start taking probiotics. When the digestive system is not working right, it affects all areas of your health and quality of life.
Digestive disorders like chronic constipation, IBS, and other gastrointestinal diseases have a negative impact on your emotions. A study published in the National Library of Medicine found that individuals with digestive issues are also at risk for emotional problems such as the ones listed below.
- Major depression
- Suicidal ideas
- Panic attack
- Social phobia
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
The correlation between your digestive system and how your body works together does not even consider how it affects your physical health.
What are probiotics?
According to the National Center For Complementary and integrated health, probiotics are live microorganisms with health benefits. These are found most frequently in yogurt, dietary supplements, and beauty products.
Registered Dietitian Lauren Manaker, MS, RDN, LDN, CLEC, CPT, by her own practice says “It is important for an individual to make sure that any probiotics that you buy contains the strains your body needs and in the right quantities”
Most people believe that bacteria are harmful and our bodies are supposed to kill them off. There are also types of bacteria found in our body that are healthy and allows our body to function normally. Bacteria found in probiotics help us digest our food and help with the digestive system.
According to Manaker, probiotic supplements needs to be third-party verified to make sure that you are getting all the necessary strains that you’re looking for.
Probiotics work in the body by interacting with microorganisms, stimulating the growth of healthy bacteria, help to discourage harmful growth, reducing inflation in the gut, and modulating the immune system. Once the beneficial bacteria enters your body, it travels to your stomach then enters your digestive system. Once there, they will start breaking down, helping healthy bacteria grow in your lower and upper intestines.
What are probiotic supplements benefits?
There are a vast number of benefits when you take probiotics. Health digestive systems are well balanced. The gut can be easily thrown off balance for many reasons. These reasons include illnesses, taking antibiotics, or when there are too many harmful bacteria. A study publishes in the National Library of Medicine published an article supporting probiotics help bring your digestive tract back to a healthy balance.
To get the best benefits, some people recommend taking probiotics and probiotics together, also known as synbiotics. Synbiotics is defined as the way probiotics and probiotics work together in your digestive tract. An article published in the National Library of Medicine stated that studies have shown that when they are taken together, they maximize the positive effects. Although there has been quite a bit of research on probiotics in humans, more research is needed to determine how well probiotics work. If you take both of these supplements, it is recommended not to take them simultaneously
What to Look for When Buying in a Probiotic Supplement
“Does Soil Contribute to the Human Gut Microbe?” An article published in the National Library of Medicine found that soil-based microbiota influxes the quality and storage of good bacteria in our digestive system. With our lifestyle changes, we do not get the quality of probiotics from the soil that our parents and grandparents did growing up. People who live in cities are consuming even less of these essential minerals.
Soil-based probiotics are naturally found in soil and naturally flowing water you find in wells and streams. Now that our food goes through food processing and sterilizing techniques, the soil-based organisms are long gone before they reach us. This is why soil-based ingredients are essential when choosing a supplement.
- Bacillus coagulans, also known as B. coagulans, produce lactic acid, which supports digestive health.
- Bacillus Subtilis reduces inflammation, helps reduce fat deposits, and restores your bowel regularity.
- Bacillus calusii helps to change nitrate contained in the soil to nitrite. This is important because nitrate is more stable and can be converted back to nitrate when oxygen is needed. This bacteria helps reduce nasal congestion and reduces the overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine.
Many Bacillus strains are found in the soil that helps regulate the digestive tract and benefit health in other ways. You can learn more about the different strains in the article titled Identification of Bacillus species: Implication on the quality of probiotic formulations—a peer-reviewed research article published in PLOS ONE.
Length of shelf Life
Expired probiotics: What is really in your cabinet? An article published in the Oxford Academic answers the question of how well-expired probiotics work. They did this by evaluating 33 expired products to see if the microbial cell viability went below the recommended dose. While some still worked, they were way lower than what is recommended for the probiotic to function.
Shelf stability is basically how long the bacteria in the probiotic continue to have the desired effect. There are ways that companies have found to lengthen the life stability, such as adding spore-forming bacteria to them. These types of bacteria are stable at room temperature and don’t have to be refrigerated. Another way to help extend the expiration date is by putting extra amounts of bacteria into the supplements to help them survive.
There are a few other ways to lengthen the shelf life as listed below:
- Temperature stability
- Increasing CFU numbers
- Testing to determine how temperature affects the potency
Content of CFU
CFUs (colony forming units), are the number of live and active microorganisms in each serving. According to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements, CFUs (colony forming units) is the number of viable cells. This is what is written on the label. They can hold up to 50 billion strains or as little as 10 billion. An interesting fact is that while the numbers are significant, they do not always report the product’s benefits. The manufacturers have to indicate the number of viable cells, but the number of CFUs on the label consists of both alive and dead. To be effective, the bacteria have to be taken while still alive.
Different Types of Strains in the Probiotic
Make sure the supplement you chose has at a minimum of ten different types of strains. Below is a list of the seven most essential ingredients that they must include. It needs to be stressed that these strains can go by different names, so look up any component you’re unsure of.
The main seven strains that should be included in the probiotic dietary supplement you are considering are
What to Avoid When Buying Probiotic Supplements
When taken correctly, probiotic supplements can make a huge difference in your health. The keyword here is correct. When buying supplements, there are some things you need to consider. Otherwise, you’re just wasting your time and money.
Pass on the veggie capsules
This may sound odd because you hear the word vegetable and automatically think good. Want to know why this isn’t the best choice? Your stomach is highly acidic, causing vegetable capsules to break down quickly. When this happens, the healthy bacteria are broken down there, never reaching your intestines.
Make sure the probiotic doesn’t contain harmful ingredients.
Hard to believe, but some supplements may contain harmful ingredients such as food colorings, preservatives, and sweeteners. Preservatives are often added to extend the shelf life of the probiotic, although upping the amount of CFUs can do the same thing. Artificial colorings and sweeteners can help make the supplants more flavorful and taste better.
Common Mistakes People Make When Taking Probiotic Supplements
- They do not refrigerate it when the label says to
- Not taking the supplement for at least 30 days
- Taking a dose that’s too low or doesn’t follow the dosage directions
- Choosing the wrong strain for your needs
- Taking probiotics and probiotics at the same time.
- Take multiple supplements. Different types of bacteria react differently with one another, so stick to one at a time.
- Putting probiotics in a pillbox. Probiotics expire quicker than other medications, especially when exposed to air, moisture, light, and temperature changes.
- Taking expired supplements. If you’re taking expired products, it makes them useless this is why paying attention to the expiration date is essential.
- Not eating a well-balanced diet. Healthy eating habits give your body energy, helping to balance out your good and harmful bacteria.
- Not taking them consistently. If you don’t take the supplements daily, they aren’t able to do their job, and you won’t get the benefits you want.
Summary of our Best Picks
Best for general health: Grundy MD Bio Complete 3
Best for digestive health: 1MD Probiotics Platinum
Best for weight loss: Grundy MD Energy Renew
Best for immune health: Multi-GI 5
Best for women’s health: 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum
Best personalized probiotic: 1MD BalanceMD
14 Probiotics Dieticians Recommend
This Probiotic is manufactured by Unify Health Labs and was founded by Randy Jackson after he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. The company has health experts and advisors lead by Dr. Melina Jampolis, a board-certified physician.
Multi-GI 5 is a combination of 3 blends that helps to support the digestive system. First, the Prebiotic blend gives you the nutrients your body needs to digest the probiotics. Then the GI health blend gives your body the nutrients it needs and soothes your gut while improving your intestinal lining. Finally, the probiotic blend that your intestines healthy bacteria.
This supplement contains ingredients that are high quality and clinically proven to work.
- 200mg of Fermented L-Glutamine – An article published in the National Library of Medicine states this ingredient helps with Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lactobacillus gasseri 100 billion cfr/g, 7.13 mg – A recent study showed this ingredient helps the body drop body fat and decrease the hip circumference.
- Bacillus coagulans – An article in PLOS One stated this ingredient had been shown to help the bacteria survive the high levels of acid in the stomach so your intestines can get the benefits of the probiotics
If you have side effects when starting the supplements, such as bloating or gas, cut your dosage in half for the first week.
Morning complete is founded by ActivatedYou. This is one of the most reliable names in the field with a lot of credibilities. It’s a name you can trust. Dr. Frank Lipman is a gut health expert and is one of the leading team members that are searching out and testing the main ingredients of the supplement. Along with Maggie Q, a health activist and animal rights enthusiast. She has had many health struggles of her own and has years of health research under her belt.
Morning Complete combines probiotics, prebiotics, and essential nutrients to create a great-tasting drink with proven benefits. This drink blends multiple ingredients so you can take one supplement to address various issues you’re concerned about.
Below you will find a few of the blends that are in this gut supplement.
- Prebiotic Fiber Blend – An article in Trends in Food Science & Technology states that dietary fibers have beneficial effects in controlling chronic diseases such as diabetes mellitus, obesity, and cancer.
- Cellular Function and Liver Support Blend – An article in BioMed Research International found that the Gymnema Sylvestre leaf is a natural remedy for diabetes, anemia, and constipation, similar to the prebiotic fiber blend. It has also been shown to reduce body weight when used in dietary supplements.
- Antioxidant Blend – the Frontiers in Microbiology found that pomegranate peel extract in the antioxidant blend has been shown to reduce inflammation found in many chronic diseases and helps to restore healthy bacteria in your digestive tract.
As with other probiotics, reduce the amount by half for the first week if you have unwanted side effects.
I saw the ActivatedYou Morning Complete ad and thought this product was something that could help me. The first thing I noticed within 1 week was that I had less bloating and gas. My cravings were also better controlled. Then by week 2, there was no more constipation. Gone! Originally I was taking additional probiotics to finish the supply I already had but once they were done I have not gone back as this product seemed to do the job! I am surprisingly happy as I started with some skepticism. ~ by Margie
I started taking Morning Complete because 1) I love Maggie Q. 2) I feel like I have gut issues. After taking it, at first, it did not taste good, now I wish I could take more than one scoop a day now. I have to have this in the morning because I feel that it helps me throughout my day and if I don’t take it for a couple of days, I start feeling sluggish again. ~ by Kim
I love the Morning Complete product it has made a huge difference for me in these areas my bloat gone, digestion better, sleep and wake better, mood better, 12lbs gone, psoriasis not so inflamed, face looking younger, all this, and I just finished my first 30 days at 49 years old I’m I was looking for anything to help me feel all-around better and this is it sign me up for life Maggies got something figured out here people. ~ Meredith Schmidt
Dr. Gundry is the creator of this supplement. He is one of the best pediatric heart surgeons and is currently the international heart and lung institute director in Palm Springs, CA. Gundry MD Prebiothrive is designed to stop your cravings for unhealthy foods and help make you feel fuller faster. As well as the above health benefits, it also improves digestion, helps balance healthy gut bacteria, and reduces stomach and bowel discomfort.
This digestive restorative supplement is a great tasting drink you drink each morning as part of a balanced diet. If you prefer to use it in recipes, it works just as well. Health studies scientifically back the ingredients found in this supplement. One important thing to note is that this product does contain milk, so if you are lactose sensitive, it may not be your best choice.
Some of the ingredients included in this dietary supplement are listed below.
- Flaxseed – is rich in omega-3 and fatty acids, which help your body’s digestive system. An article found in Gut Microbiota For Health found that flaxseed directly targets the microbiota located in the gut.
- Agave Inulin – is an Inulin prebiotic fiber that comes from the cache Tree. It helps to remove toxins from our body, helping to promote good bacteria while lowering harmful cholesterol levels. Wiley Online Library published that found direct effects on the digestive system and improves chronic constipation.
- Galacto-oligosaccharides – these are natural sugars found in plants that help the growth of bacteria in your gut. Studies have found that it may help reduce your appetite and soothe gastro pain. The National Library of Medicine published an article stating that Galacto-oligosaccharides commonly found in humans modulate bowel function in people who suffer from constipation.
Nutritionists for many years have said that fiber is essential for gut health. This is why the majority of probiotics will have this as one of their main ingredients.
This is another fantastic product from Gundry MD. One fact that not many people know is that he was the one who came up with the name Leaky Gut Syndrome. Leaky Gut Syndrome is when the intestinal lining becomes compromised and lets toxins typically stored in the intestines to leak into the bloodstream.
Current Nutrition and Food Science published an article called Protection and Restitution of Gut Barrier by Probiotics Nutritional and Clinical Implications stating that probiotics help improve gut function and protect the intestines from injuries, maintaining the intestinal lining.
ProPlant Complete Shake is all-natural made entirely of plant-based ingredients. This shake does not contain any milk products and is vegan friendly.
- Hemp – An article published by Europe PMC stated that Initial research has shown that hemp has strong prebiotic activity and can support probiotic growth.
- Zinc – US National Library of Medicine published an article stating that when individuals are low in zinc, many issues can occur, such as gastrointestinal disorders, compromised immunity, and central nervous system disorders.
- Spirulina – This ingredient is clinically proven to modulate immune functions, its anti-inflammatory benefits, and the ability to improve gut health.
One review says, “Love ProPlant Complete protein! My daily routine begins with coffee…no sugar. I do not eat nor need any Breakfast. I wasn’t aware that my schedule mimicked intermittent fasting. After coffee, I meet up with my ‘street walkers’ group for a 4-5 mile brisk walk. Around 10:30-11:00, I assemble my delicious smoothie…blueberries, strawberries, bananas, fresh ginger, 1/2 lactose-free yogurt, and baby kale. Of course, the best is left for last. The chocolate proplant protein with a little almond milk. It’s my reward for exercising each day and a fabulous dessert! Very fulfilling and keeps me going until dinner. I am so happy I found your site and your knowledge, I’m definitely off all tomatoes, eggplant, and pea-based protein powder. Thanks for energizing and educating me. ~ by S. Richmond
This dietary supplement contains a variety of polyphenols. What are these you ask? Polyphenols are superfoods such as gymnema sylvestre let, mulberry leaf, fennel, broccoli and foods high in this micronutrient. It is nearly impossible to get the right amounts of these nutrients unless you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. This product helps to boost your skins appearance, promote digestion and support health health.
Primal Plants is made up of four unique blends.
- Superfood Greens Blend
- Digestive Support Blend
- Metabolic Enhancing Blend
- Probiotic Blend
Each of these blends contain ingredients essential for a healthy digestive system; including the ones listed below.
- Bacillus Cogulans – there is a study cited earlier in the article that tells the importance of this bacteria in supporting digestive health.
- Cinnamon bark – US National Library of Medicine has published multiple articles singing the praises of cinnamon bark. Researchers have found that has many benefits as an anti-inflammatory and has beneficial effects in Parkinson’s, diabetes, and intestinal health.
- Pectin – National Library of Medicine published an article stating the pectins help to make sure that probiotics survive so they can reach they digestive system.
Lectin Shield is formatted by Dr. Gundry and is composed of many plant-based foods that can cause your digestive system not to work well. This unique blend of ingredients helps your body to eliminate harmful proteins. This dietary supplement supports intensional health, reduces gas and bloating, helps to stop craving unhealthy food, and encourages a healthy digestive system.
A few of the main ingredients in Latin Shield is
Bladderwrack is a type of seaweed known for its high content of nutrients needed to keep individuals healthy. It is also considered to be an excellent source of dietary fiber.
Sodium Alginate helps make sure that the capsule protects the active components contained in them. This type of capsule has been shown to be one of the best ways to make certain ingredients reach where it is intended.
Methylsulfonylmethane – has gained the attention of health experts in its ability to treat and prevent multiple diseases. Considered an anti-inflammatory, it helps with joint and muscle pain and decreases oxidative stress.
As people age, their metabolism slows down, you don’t eat like you used to, and your body burns fewer calories. Energy Renew is a high-quality formula that helps increase energy, decrease brain fog, and maintain a healthy metabolism. This powder formula uses all-natural, scientifically proven ingredients. This supplement is easy to use. You simply mix one scoop of the powder in an 8oz glass of water.
The three main ingredients in Energy renew are listed below.
- D-Robose – Studies show that this type of mitochondria helps with cellular support. It also helps increase energy giving your digestive system what it needs to remain healthy.
- N-Acetyl L-Carnitine – The US National Library of Medicine published an article listing the benefits of this ingredient. The primary use is that it decreases fatty acids while increasing energy. It helps in recovery after exercising also. It increases your blood flow, improving the endothelial function, which also helps to strengthen the intestinal lining giving you the support system you need for a healthy gut.
- Nitric Oxide Boosters – Nitric-oxide works with L-arginine to oxidize amino acids. Amino acids increase blood flow throughout your body and give individuals more energy. When you do not move, your energy levels decrease, slowing down your digestive system. Nitric-oxide boosters help to increase your power, therefore ensuring your digestive system remains on track.
Another one of our favorites manufactured by Gundry MD is Bio Complete3. One of the reasons we are so impressed with hit products is that he is a former cardiac surgeon with years of experience and currently owns his clinic that focuses on investing in how dies affect health.
Bio Complete3 increases your immune system by making sure your gut is healthy. A healthy digestive system is essential to help fight off infections and other viruses. This supplement does this with a unique formula of prebiotics, probiotics, and posts biotic. You may be wondering how exactly he does this. Read below to find out the answer.
The key ingredients in this probiotic are Tributyrin, sunfiber, and bacillus coagulans. Each one is scientifically proven to keep your gut healthy, help control your appetite and give you energy.
- Tributyrin (corebiome) is suitable for the immune system, decreasing the amount of oxidative stress. Another benefit of it is that it helps digest proteins assisting in the grown of microbiota.
- Bacillus Coagulans – this ingredient has a long history of treating various digestive issues such as IBS, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal disorders. It does this by mailing homeostasis of the microbiota. ScienceDirect published a study from January 2020 backing up the claims that the spores that Bacillus coagulans product helps the body to digest the probiotic.
- Sunfiber – a study published in 2015 in the Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology states that guar gum relieves systems of constipation and has prebiotic properties. Another study published in nutrition insight further says that sunfiber may help with those displaying metabolic syndromes.
Total restore is a formula specifically designed to help your body to fight leaky gut naturally. Like all of Gundry MD products, it contains all-natural ingredients that are proven to work. Decreasing gas, fatigue, bloating, and bowel irregularity helps you regain energy and release toxins your digestive system has stored.
The active ingredients of this probiotic are listed below
- L-Glutamine – The National Library of Medicine published a study from 2018 saying that L-Glutamine is essential in destroying bacteria while improving the circulation of organs such as the gut, liver, and skeletal muscles. This is in addition to the benefits listed In the Multi-GI 5 area.
- N-acetyl D-glucosamine – The scientific studies of this ingredient is listed in the Energy Renew section. It increases energy while decreasing fatigue. It also helps with recovery from exercising. In addition, an article published in Nutrients MDPI, 2019 states that although it is a well known joint protectant is also helps to restore microcondria in the human gut.
- Licorice root extract – this natural ingredient has been used in Chinese medicine for many years and is well known as an anti-inflammatory and has cell-protective abilities.
The manufactures of this product consist of 5 board-certified physicians who are specialists in the fields of
- Allergy and immunology
1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum guarantees
- 51 billion of CFUs,
- 11 proteins strains,
- delayed-release capsules
One of the primary things needed in a probiotic is that it survives to stomach acids to get into the intestines ignorer to do its job. The main issue with many of these supplements is that they are not time delaying and may be destroyed in the stomach.
This product is full of unusual ingredients.
- 7 strains of Lactobacillus – US National Library of Medicine published an article stating the many benefits of various lactobacillus strains. They are well known for treatments of diseases, help with immunity, improve lactose intolerance and reduce UTIs. In addition to these well-known benefits, there have been hundreds of articles published proving their benefits for gut health.
- 3 strains of Bifidobacterium – a study by Frontiers in Microbiology published an article in 2016 stating that bifidobacterium was one of the first microbes found to have positive benefits in the digestive system. The microbe has to have specific properties to survive the acids found in the gut. This is one of the reasons why a time-delayed capsule is an excellent idea.
- lactospore – This ingredient is also known as bacillus coagulan. The dietary ingredient helps with both IBS and diarrhea. The results of the study published in 2016 are that symptoms such as bloating, vomiting, abdominal pain, and stool frequency decrease, and the quality of life increases.
This dietary supplement is believed to reduce discomfort caused by foods that are not digested correctly. It does this by combining plant-based digestive enzymes and probiotics that support digestive health.
EnzymeMD said to do the following.
- Act fast to elevate gas and bloating after eating
- It contains 18 enzymes that breakdown food after eating
- Has S. Boulrdii to improve your gut health
As we get older, our ability to break down foods decreases due to a significant decrease in energy. EnzymeMD believed to help increase power naturally and help the body to break down essential enzymes crucial to a healthy digestive system.
A few of the main ingredients in this probiotic are
- Bromelain – Studies have proven this enzyme to have anti-inflammatory properties and helps with the treatment of bronchitis, sinusitis, and other inflammatory disorders. It is a highly absorbable enzyme that is not easily broke down and helps with diarrhea and a variety of other gut issues.
- Peptidase – An article from 1984 published in Science that Inspires sings the praises of this plasma membrane. It aids in the breakdown of specific proteins and restores plasma membranes. It Is one of the best enzymes that aids in digestion.
- Invertase – ResearchGate published an article called Invertase, and it’s application in 2013, stating that this enzyme is essential for breaking down enzymes needed to boost the immune system.
BiomeMD contains 15 strains of probiotics, 62 billion CFUs, and a new type of prebiotic.
This digestive support supplement states that it improves digestion reduces oxidative stress. Good bacteria have a lot of benefits. Namely, it improves the digestive system and restores immune function. When harmful bacteria take over your digestive tract, it can put you at risk for many medical conditions, including obesity.
Active ingredients in this supplement
- HUM care4U HMO – This is human milk consumed in the first months of life for the healthy development of infants. It helps regulate and improve the immune system and positively impacts the growth of bacteria in the digestive system.
- Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 – A study published in the US National Library of Medicine stated that this bacteria helped to alleviate constipation and stomach pain. It was also found to reduce GI system disturbances in adults.
- Lactobacillus casei L30C – This compound is one of the most studied ingredients in probiotics. Frontiers in Microbiology states that this strain is one of the most used ingredients because it makes the gut bacteria stable and prevents many diseases and disorders.
You have likely heard about how important your gut health is, but do you know why? Your gut doesn’t only affect your digestive system but also your entire body. This is because your stomach and intestines hold around 70% of your body’s 40 trillion types of bacteria in your body. Why is this important? Because this number consists of both good and bad bacteria. When your body does not have enough good bacteria, it leads to many health issues.
This is why probiotics are essential to your health. We recommend 1MD GutMD because of its high-quality, unique blends that help increase the good bacteria putting your digestive system back on track.
- Fibregum (Acacia Fiber) – The Nutritional Journal published a study in 2012 showing the impact of acacia fiber on the body among healthy females. When taken for 30 days, the individual who took this fiber showed a significant decrease in body weight.
- L-Glutamine – The Journal of Nutrition says that many athletes take this because it helps increase energy and digest proteins. The plasma glutamine decreases after intense exercise, decreasing the number of bacteria in your gut health. This supplement replaces the good bacteria to make sure your digestive system works as it should.
- Gutgard (Licorice Root) – A double-blind study done by Hidawi showed that this supplement helped get rid of H. pylori infections in the stool. For those that wonder like I did what this infection was, it is an infection that doesn’t allow epithelial cells from developing in the gut.
By now, I’m sure all of you reading this know that probiotics are proven to help the digestive system and benefit your health in various other ways. Although to get the benefits, you need to take a close look at the ingredients. 1MD is consistently proven to use the best high-quality natural ingredients.
This probiotic contains 15 billion CFUs and many subs trains essential to ensuring the ingredients reach your digestive tract. 1MD BalanceMD is dairy-free making it an excellent choice for vegans.
According to Nature reviews, disease primers stated that candidiasis negatively affects the gastrointestinal barriers, which may cause tears in the intestine, increasing the chance of some invasive diseases. The good news is 1MD Balance has ingredients scientifically proven to get rid of this harmful bacteria.
- Herbal cleansers like oregano oil and caprylic acid inhibit the growth of fungus and yeast in the intestine. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine National Institue of Health stated that oregano oils are widely used because of its antifungal properties. Caprylic acid studies have shown that it is highly effective in treating Crohn’s disease and short bowel syndrome.
- Digestive enzymes – protease and cellulase a study published by the current Drug Metabolism Bentham Science Publishers states that digestive enzymes break down proteins, carbs, and lipids aiding in gastrointestinal health. It also helps inhibit the growth of candida, a fungus proven to harm your intestines.
How We Select Supplements
We only select products with proven ingredients with scientific evidence to back them up.
- They have to be shelf stable – meaning that it doesn’t need refrigerated and has a shelf life of at least 2 years.
- High CFU count of at least 1 billion
- Strain diversity – Strains proven to assist in sustaining the growth of healthy bacteria.
- Prebiotics – in order for the probiotics to work and multiply there needs to be prebiotics as one of the ingredients. This can come in many forms so look at each ingredient to ensure there is some form of it. If you are unsure look up the ingredient.
- Verify accuracy of their labels
- Research ingredients
- Make sure they have high customer satisfaction
- Overall customer satisfaction
What a probiotic supplement can (and can’t) do for you
Although more research is needed, many benefits are associated with probiotics and reversing many health and some mental health issues.
Some of these benefits include
- Help prevent and treat diarrhea
- It helps improve some mental health conditions
- Improve heart health
- Reduce the severity of allergies and eczema
- Reduce symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders such as IBS and IBD
- Boost your immune system
- It May help reduce belly fat and lose weight
- Decrease inflammation
It’s important to remember while probiotics have many benefits, they are not a cure-all. You still need to eat healthily and have a well-rounded diet. There are also many different strains of them, so you have to find the one that works best for you.
Probiotics are not a cure all if you do not change your diet when taking them it is liley you will not get the full benefits. Foods that you eat can have a positive and negative effect on your health. Eating processed and fast foods everyday is going to reverse any benefits you get from the supplement.
Probiotics can aid you in losing some fat and weight but it is not going to cause you to lose a large amount of weight. The best way to lose weight is to make changes to your diet and incrase your activity. The main way that probiotics help in weight loss if they help to curb cravings for unhealthy foods, increase your energy, and help you to feel fuller.
While probiotics can help you manage diseases and prevent some from occuring it can not cure all diseases. It has a lot of anti-inflammatory properties which help with inflammation associated with many disorders such as arthritis. Because of the immunity properties of these supplements it can help your body fight off viruses but not prevent them all.
How to find the best probiotic supplement for You
With all of the probiotics available it’s hard to choose just one with the benefits you want. This best way to choose the best one for you is to look at the ingredients. You want one that contains at least 1 billion CFUs.
Look for name brands that have been studied and have proven ingredients. You need to pay close attention to the label to make sure that it fits your lifestyle. Meaning if you’re lactose intolerant read the label to make sure it contains no milk products.
Read the fine print and the additional ingredients. Make sure the probiotic can survive the acidic environment of your stomach in order to reach the intestines. Types of bacteria included in the probiotic. Realize it may take time to find the right one for you.
Q: Do probiotic supplements work?
A: The short answer is yes. Probiotics have a lot of scientific backing that proves they work.
Q: What is the Optimal dosage for probiotics?
A: There are no optimal dosages. The dosage suggested for each supplement is located on the probiotic. It is suggested to read the recommend dosage and take that. If you notice that when you first start taking them, you are experiencing side effects, cut the dosage in half for a few weeks so your body can get used to it.
Q: Who should avoid probiotics?
A: Children should not take probiotics. Individuals with severe health conditions or compromised immune systems should not take probiotics. Like any other supplement, you should always consult your physician before taking any new medication or supplement.
Q: Do Probiotic Supplements Have Side Effects?
A: In the first few weeks, you can experience side effects such as gas, bloating, and increased thirst. Some products have dairy ingredients, so it is essential for you to look at the label to see if it does or not, especially if you’re sensitive to lactose.
Q: What is the Best Time to Take a Probiotic Supplement?
A: Most of the time, there is no best time. Your best bet is to read the instructions on the label. Some will want you to take it in the morning with food, while others will just tell you to take them daily.
Q: Do Probiotic Supplements Survive Stomach Acid
A: Not all of them will. This is why it is important to research before deciding what one to purchase.
Q: Why Should I Take Probiotic Supplements?
A: You will feel better, and your digestive system will work better. As stated earlier in the article, your digestive tract is what keeps your immune system working right to help prevent diseases and viruses.
Q: Are There Vegan Probiotic Supplements?
A: Yes. Just check the label, and it will let you know if it is.
Q: Do Probiotic Supplements Expire?
A: Yes. This is why it is so essential for you to check the expiration date before you buy them.
Q: What Happens if You Take Too Many Probiotic Supplements?
A: Common side effects of too many probiotics are bloating, gas, and nausea. People who have a weakened immune system or a severe illness should consult a physician before taking probiotics.
There is no doubt that probiotics have multiple benefits that are fully backed by science. However, it is essential to make sure the probiotic that you choose has high quality ingredients manufactured from a trusted manufacturer. Each of the products above are recommended by dietitians and proven to be effective.